Department of Veteran Affairs & the Veteran’s Home Care Program

November 12, 2020

The Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) and the Veteran’s Home Care (VHC) Program are two types of funding for veterans and families. DVA funds veterans and war widows with nursing, personal care and medical treatment/s, whilst Veterans’ Home Care (VHC) is designed to help veterans and war widows to live independently at home by providing a small amount of practical help.

How does it work?

DVA or DVA Community Nursing provides veterans and or war widows and their families with the necessary support and services to maintain optimal health and wellbeing. This could be clinical care, covering wound care, medication management, or assistance from recent hospital admission. DVA also may include personal care that includes showering and or assisted dressing.  

Veterans’ Home Care (VHC) Program can assist veterans and their dependents to continue living in their home. The Program provides a range of home care services designed to maintain independence. These could include domestic assistance, in-home respite and home and garden maintenance.


Who is eligible for DVA or VHC program?

Veterans and war widowers are eligible to be assessed for all DVA services. To receive a DVA  service, the veteran must be assessed by their local Veterans’ Home Care Assessment agency.


What home care services does DVA or VHC cover?

VHC provides a range of home care services designed to meet your needs including Domestic Assistance, Respite Care and Home and Garden Maintenance. 

The types of DVA Community Nursing services that may be provided include Case Management, Personal Care, Wound Care, Incontinence management, medication management, rehabilitation, chronic disease management, palliative care and pain management or making referrals to other allied health and community care services as needed.


How do I apply for DVA Community Nursing or VHC?

All DVA or VHC services are subsidised by the Australian Government through the Department of Veterans Affairs. There is a fee co-payment required to be paid by the program recipient. This will be determined by the VHC assessment agency.

To apply you can call myHomecare to help you through the process and to understand your options of getting the care you need.


Where can I find more information on DVA or VHC?

To contact your local VHC agency for a phone-based assessment, please call:

DVA agency phone number – 1300 550 450

Following a request from the VHC assessment agency, myHomecare will arrange a convenient time to complete an assessment and commence the delivery of the approved DVA service.

How can myHomecare help?

Depending on your region and availability of funding in your area, myHomecare is here to help. Our friendly contact team can talk you through your options or after you speak to your DVA agency representative, we can talk you through your options.  

We’ve helped thousands of people understand both DVA and home care options so give us a call today and we’re on hand to help you through the process.

Learn more about DVA and VHC in your area. Call us on 1300 20 90 20.


Government support packages in more detail

There are a number of government-funded packages available, based on your individual needs and allocated funding by the government and if applicable, how you want to pay for your service provider.

Home Care Packages (HCP)

There are 4 levels of Home Care Packages.

Learn more

Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

Entry-level support for help with daily tasks.

Learn more

Transitional Aged Care Program (TRANSPAC)

Transition care helps you recover after a hospital stay.

Learn more

Short Term Restorative Care (STRC)

Designed to help you reverse or slow any difficulties.

Learn more

Private funded care

For over 20 years myHomecare’s pioneering businesses have been offering their clients a simple way to access the full range of in-home services under a private funding arrangement. Learn more about private funded care

At myHomecare we understand there may be times in our life when we may need a little help.

Share On:

Related News

Karl's Referral Success Story.

Karl’s Referral Success Story

This referral story is about Karl Hoffmann, a man of many talents, including the realms of artistry, dog training, culinary skills, and a knack for mastering various trades. But what truly sets Karl apart is his extraordinary resilience in the face of adversity. Despite losing his leg to diabetes, he continues to inspire others through…

How to leave a Google Review.

Have you heard about Google Reviews? They are a great way of sharing your experience so other people find it easier to navigate different businesses and work out if they will be the right fit for them.Wondering how to leave a  Google Review? However it can be a bit confusing to leave a Google Review…

3 Tips To Manage Arthritis As You Age.

Arthritis is a condition that sadly affects many. For older people, the condition can be more prevalent. It is painful, uncomfortable, and can even be debilitating without effective management. The good news is, there are plenty of resources available to ensure you continue to still live a fulfilled life even if struggling from arthritis. It…

Autumn 2022 Newsletter

As summer has now drawn to a close, it is hard to believe that Autumn is with us and we’re already in March of 2022 with Easter fast approaching.  This month’s Newsletter includes information about our Autumn Packs, which are a great way to get you and your home ready for the autumn season this…

Christmas 2021 Newsletter

In this festive edition, you can find information on 3 ways to get extra support this summer, 5 tips to stay cool this summer, A delicious Christmas Day recipe the family will rave about, and much more! For Central Coast Readers: CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR CHRISTMAS NEWSLETTER  For Hunter Valley and Newcastle Readers: CLICK HERE…

Essential Services Update for Greater Sydney

Essential Services for Greater Sydney Home care for the ageing population of Australia is an essential service In Greater Sydney, our staff will always carry proof of their address to comply with the direction of our state government Our carers and clients will wear masks for all client services, including indoors Update to myHomecare Services…

Still thinking?

Want some more information about Home Care while you’re researching? Tell us about your situation, and we will cater the best information to you. Simply fill out the form below and we will send you everything you need to know about Home Care.

As Featured In
1300 203 903